Well, my x-ray results came back on Tuesday, but we played phonetag until Wednesday. The nurse who called me wouldn't tell me what she found, only that it was important that I come back in on Thursday to have a second round of x-rays taken to confirm the results. I headed in on Thursday assuming it would be a quick in and out, only to be called up to the doctor's office to speak with my doctor directly. As in, my physician called down and asked radiology to send me up.
When I arrived she told me that they think I have a stress fracture in the 2nd metatarsal from the first set of x-rays, but that the second round of x-rays will confirm. She wanted to proceed for now as we would for a stress fracture. At this point the bones haven't moved out of place, which is good news. She said that if I didn't hear from her by Friday with the additional x-ray results, that I should give her a call next week.
She also scolded me over the Reef sandals that I was wearing and referred to them as the Worst Possible Thing I could be wearing. She didn't seem to understand that I'm on vacation and it's like 50 degrees out! Honestly, regular walking doesn't hurt much these days. Only playing Dance Central does and specifically the Back Breaker move in Pon De Replay. In any case, she reiterated that I should wear highly cushioned running shoes from now on.
She then gave me The Ugliest Velcro Shoe On Earth (TUVSOE). The guy who fit me with the shoe explained that it simply has a stiff sole to prevent my toes from bending when I take a step. I felt that the cushioned running shoe advice was at odds with the stiff sole shoe purpose. My running shoes are highly flexible. That's the point. I'm confused. Especially since when I step in TUVSOE, my toes still bend up as I push off during a step. It is doing nothing except chafing my ankle and looking like an ugly orthpaedic shoe for someone who isn't nimble enough to tie laces. At least give me a big honking boot that actually prevents movement AND gives the impression that my foot is actually injured, as opposed to looking like an unfashionable old person sandal. I see no universe in which I will wear this thing.
I'll update next week. My received my appointment with the orthopeadic specialist - a foot/ankle guy at MGH. I won't be able to see him until April 27th. I'm on the fence about what I'm going to do about the B.A.A. 5k on Marathon Weekend. It's only 3 miles. I'm wondering if I can manage it if I wear my Landreths and take it in a jog. The alternative is to find someone who is looking for a bib. It seems a waste, especially monetarily, if someone doesn't get to the run the race with it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment