0

In Review

I was drawn into a training log program and managed to miss out on my running updates. I've been trying to run 3-4 times during the week and the long run on Sat/Sunday. The weekday runs are focusing on speed and intervals. I'll so a fast 8 miles for one, as well as 2-3 drills/short fast runs. I managed to actually do full Yasso 800s last week. I say full, since two weeks back I tried them, mismeasured, and ran 500s instead. I averaged around 3:55 this time. Theoretically, the Yasso 800s are supposed to predict your marathon time. In this case, it's off. I'm a much faster short-distance runner than I am long-distance. I'm putting 4:30 as my goal finishing time, but suspect it will be more near 5 hours or so.

My schedule was pretty thrown last week near the end. Due to Easter, I went up to NH. However, dental troubles left me in Boston until Saturday afternoon. So I only ended up running once and not a long run. I did 9 miles with this big hill in the middle. It's rolling hills in the area anyway, but this particular hill was between 4%-9% for over a mile. The rest of the hills were like 3%. I tried to take it easy. At two super-steep points, I slowed my jog to a walk. I didn't want to risk injuring myself. The rest was easy and refreshing. I wish I lived out in a rural area full time. It's just a gorgeous place to run. I can't believe I took it for granted all those years, and didn't get into running sooner. NH is the best.

Before my run on Sunday, I had to buy new shoes. I thought I'd get a stellar deal up there without the sales tax, but no one had Nimbus 10, let alone in stock or on sale. So it was actually cheaper for me to buy them in Boston with a coupon and with sales tax, than in NH for full price without salestax. Bummer. Olympia Sports had the blue ones on sale for $100 though. That's cheaper than Marathon Sports with a 15% coupon. I think.

Anyway, since I forgot my old shoes anyway, I had to buy -something- in order to go on my run. I ended up with Saucony Triumph 5s. And they're awesome! They feel really similiar to the N10s with a wide toe, neutral and about the same weight, I'd say. Not as natural a fit, but I've put around 12 miles on them thus far and they feel GREAT! No problems. My toe is wrapped, so that might have something to do with it, but thus far no unexpected rubbing or blistering. My distances are short, however. This weekend I'm going to give them a trial on my 20 miler. Hopefully they'll hold the distance, since I haven't seen any signs that they would cause problems at least in the mid-stance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment