0

"Journey To A Marathon"

I was staring at my blog tonight and realized that I had subtitled the blog "Journey To a Marathon". I don't really remember doing that, but I clearly did. I don't think anyone snuck in and altered my graphics when I wasn't looking.

This all seems crazy to me because I ran that marathon and subsequently trained for two others. How cool is that? I have made my subtitle irrelevant. It's done. How long ago did I start this blog, again?

It also means that I need a new subtitle. I can only come up with some mildly pathetic slogans:

Runs with iPod: ...and a limp.
Runs with iPod: One overuse injury at a time
Runs with iPod: Making total joint replacements a lifestyle, not just a career

I'm truly trying to avoid the "I told you so" of my coworkers who seemed to find it their duty to voice concerns over my joint health when they realized I had taken up endurance running a couple of years ago. It was fairly easy to feel that I had superior judgment and understanding of the sport back when I was perfectly healthy. But now I'm left on a new path to prove them wrong in the face of multiple overuse injuries. How hard is it to prove that it is merely my overzealous, dangerous training practices that place my joints at risk and not the sport itself?

In any case, I'm working on a new subtitle. My goals aren't so lofty at this stage. I just want to run without pain or injury. I'm not sure how to turn that into a motivational phrase. I still have dreams of running an ultra or breaking 2 hours in the half, but I'm setting those aside until I can run whatsoever. It's a heck of a journey, regardless.

0 comments:

Post a Comment