0
I had a sad realization today that perhaps it wasn't my ballet flats, but the forefoot running had led to what feels like a broken foot (<-- melodramatic, not broken). I was reading several barefoot running blogs that discuss how top of the foot pain is fairly common due to overuse, tight calves, etc.

From Go Barefooting:

The typical runner making the switch will usually complain of sore and tight calves after the initial barefoot runs. This is because the calf muscles are now being tightened and flexed. After that initial shock is gone and the calves begin to adapt, the same runners typically complain of pains in the tops of their feet. These pains are usually coming from two muscles and/or three tendons that run the length of the top of the foot, one of which actually starts along the tibia.

....

All of you who started out with calf pain transitioned to top-of-the-foot pain for that very reason. Your calves got extremely tight and sore. A lack of proper stretching and relaxing caused a counter balance problem, which manifested itself in the connective tissues in the top of the foot. Remember that every joint in the body is a balancing act between muscles, and the pain you feel is rarely coming from the spot you are feeling where you feel it.

With top-of-the-foot pain you should stretch the calves and arches as well as taking anti-inflammatory meds. Getting the calves to relax and loosen up should be the main focus, as this will allow the release of the muscles and tendons in the top of the foot. Icing the top of the affected foot will also help in the recovery process. As with any injury the main prescription is rest. This may be the toughest of all pills to swallow, especially for someone who has just learned the pure joy of running bare, but rest and time, stretching, and ice will heal this issue, allowing you to get back out there and do what you love.


I had diagnosed it correctly, it seems. I feel reassured, however, that this is both common and I can address it through stretching my calves more. Which apparently IS, in fact, possible. Even last fall when I did the TRX training with Janet, she told me my calves were impossibly tight. I can't imagine how much worse it has gotten since I began forefoot running, even with my careful stretching.

I had recently noticed that while I could run anywhere from 3-5 miles in the vibrams, that my calves ached considerable just after 1 1/2-2 miles still. That I could still physically run, but my calves were definitely maintaining a dull ache for the run. I also noticed some uncomfortable sharp pain through my left foot at times. I always slowed or stopped when it happened, and it immediately went away, but there could be some cumulative effect.

I'm still icing 2-3 times per day, taking ibuprofin and trying to be as gentle as possible. My plan is to not leave my couch this weekend. It sounds insanely boring, but its all I can do. Okay, I might leave to do laundry but that's it! Besides I ant to do that at 7am on Saturday morning. For workouts I'll do non-foot-loading strength training and P90X. I can do the pushups and stuff as long as I balance on my right foot or do them on my knees.

I have a plan. That always makes me feel better.

On a side note, I signed up for the B.A.A. 5k this morning. I'm excited to celebrate Marathon Weekend with a race, even if it's not 26 miles. And I talked my best friend into doing the Warrior Dash in June. It will be my last hurrah - as in, I turn 30 on Sunday. Saturday, however, we will be Warriors! Woohoo!

This is a shot of my swollen left foot today:
March 2nd, 2011

0 comments:

Post a Comment