0
Having diagnosed my problem, you'd think I could focus on the road to recovery. But if you thought that, you probably don't know me that well. Faced with the possibility of not being able to run, I've returned to my old standby: heavy weight lifting.

I jumped back into my old routine this week with a vengeance (upper/lower body splits plus cardio on the bike). It was both exhilerating and humbling. "Humbling" seems to be a common feeling when it comes to fitness for me lately. I'm lifting dramatically less than I used to, which is expected, but makes getting back seem very far away. For example, I was around 250 on the leg press last year, but was easing myself back in yesterday with 135lb. I didn't bother with additional weight on my squats at first, trying to just get my form right, and when I did, I was quivering (okay, my injured foot gave out) after my fourth set of 6 reps at 65 lbs. That's right, 65lb. Shame!

This past week I've found myself fantasizing about doing box jumps again and jumping lunges. I remember the way it felt to do a pull-up without half my body weight compensated for with a band. I remember what it was like to gave guns.

In any case, I went to the laundromat this morning (a new routine because I've had it with the laundry in my building) and then went grocery shopping. My foot feels like its broken, just straight up broken, and my entire body aches all over with exhaustion. How it is that walking cumulatively like a mere mile with groceries or laundry rivals the most challenging days at the gym?

My foot is wrapped in ice, elevated, I've taken advil and I am fed.

I'm going to take a nap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment