0

Dashed dreams and foam rollers

Why does my life suck?

Okay, it doesn't suck. It's actually pretty good. I'm incredibly happy, in fact. Very satisfied with my life, career, friends, family. Except for this whole IT band problem. That sucks. My IT band sucks.

I went out for my long run today. I went with the mental acknowledgment that things could go poorly right off in spite of my week of rest, but I'd see how far I could go. I prepared for the longest, but was ready to turn around if I started to feel pain. I'm aware that starting too early could destroy the entire season rather than lay me up for a few weeks.

Two miles exactly and I was painfully turning back around in frustration. I made it from my house to the post office (stopped to mail stuff), which is 6/10th of a mile. Then took off again and reached just past Thorndike Field, which is a little over 2 miles from my house. I limped my way back to Alewife and then caught a bus the rest of the way home.

Later that afternoon I headed to Harvard Square where I ducked into City Sports to look at foam rollers. They had three types. The first was the popular GoFit 18 inch foam roller. A cheaper no-brand version (Valeo). And lastly a Thera-Roll textured foam roller. The Thera-roll felt the most painful to massage with, which probably means its the best! But I felt most comfortable with the GoFit version, and I know they sell it at Target for less.

So the foam roller plan is on hold until I can get to Target tomorrow. Until then, ice and stretching with a band. I've been doing this recommended stretch:


(Image found via Google from: http://www.fiterati.ca/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/IT-_band_exercise.jpg)

0 comments:

Post a Comment