0

A couple extra miles...

I took a quick break from the Red Sox game to run the two miles it takes me to reach the grocery store. It's up a hill and then down a hill. Fast. The sun had started to go down, so it was far more bearable than my 1pm completely-a-mistake run. So that put me at only a 10 mile total for the day, but not too horrible given that I'm on a three-day running bender.

Tomorrow I want to get up to the Fells and do some trail running. I'm looking at around getting another 10 miles in to finish off the week. It's supposed to be in the 80s again, so I want to get out there far earlier than yesterday. Get myself home before noon and the high sun. I figure it shouldn't be too bad. I'm sticking with the Landreth and aiming for the Reservation Trail. It's just under 6 miles and is described as moderate difficulty, but from all accounts, seems doable. As someone who doesn't really do trail running, I hope I'm not setting myself up for disaster. But today full-sun-on-pavement experience has prompted me to stay somewhere shaded and non-concrete. I also went through This American Life and one of my Planet Moneys, so I need beautiful landscape to distract me once my podcasts run out for the weekend.

The run up to the base of Fells is a little over 2 miles if I remember correctly. On the map it looks to be about 1 mile up to the Resevoir Trail. So a full loop will look to be around 12 miles. But I'll probably end up casually walking home. I'm kind of crossing my fingers that this will be like a 3 hour run - but I'm just guessing on the prospect of hills. When I went hiking last summer, we maxed out at 3 miles per hour and slower with steeper ascents. I run around 7 miles per hour on faster pavement runs. Of course, I'm not hiking entire mountains with flat rock face to climb at points in this case. I just hope I don't underestimate this thing too badly. Really, I do. I was joking with my roommate that if I don't come home at night to take notice. I don't want to be on the evening news a week from now as the "missing Somerville woman, missing for days, whose body was found off a Fells trail." So take note if you're reading this blog!

I have a number of gear photos and info from this and last weekend that I will try to update this weekend. I *heart* new gear.

0 comments:

Post a Comment