Now that I'm 100% behind running this spring rather than next fall (and my determination to run my first marathon before I turn 28), I'm rapidly researching for the best possible options. I have several. I have a couple of factors to consider:
- Travel and accommodation costs
- Course elevations (hills!)
- Temperature/heat
- Proximity to my half marathon on May 24th
The races that are available to me are:
Sugarloaf Marathon (May 17th)
- The goodies: t-shirt, postrace breakfast, buy-in pasta dinner, postrace massage, finisher medal
- 13 water stations
- Continuous straight course
- Scenic, mountainous course
- The first 5 miles of the marathon are flat, miles 5-10 are rolling hills with a steady two-mile climb at mile 8. The last 16 miles are downhill (I heard that they weren't really downhill)
- $55 registration fee
- ~$200 car rental
- $100 hotel
San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon (May 31st)
- 60*F 6:30am start, 70*F finish
- one loop course, city running
-Goodies: concert ticket, finishers certificate, beer!, finisher medal, food & water
- Support: 26 Entertainment stages, 40 Cheerleader squads, 19 Water stations, with Cytomax at 10 water stations, 1 Gel Zone, 20 Medical tents
- $110 registration fee
- $300 airfare
- $200 hotel
- taxi costs
Lake Placid Marathon (June 14th)
- low 70s weather
- simulaneous relay and half marathon
- 2 loop course
- steep incline at end of each loop
- not a certified course, qualifier course, asphalt
- scenic, gorgeous mountainous course
- no ipods :(
- 29 aid stations: water, Gatorade drink , energy bars, energy gel, fruit, pretzels, cookies, and other energy foods. Free Post Race Athlete Food and drink are available at the Olympic Oval finish area.
- $75 registration fee
- ~$200 car rental
- ~$200 hotel
Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Marathon (June 27th)
- day after my 28th birthday
- mid-60s temperature
- simultaneous half marathon
- half-loop city running
- Boston qualifier
- Goodies: tech t-shirt, finishers medal, certificate, concerts,
- Support: aid station, bands every mile
- $120 registration fee
-~$500 airfare
- $200 hotel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment